Ahi tuna (or yellow-fin tuna) is known for its buttery texture, rich color, mild flavor, and ease of preparation, either seared or grilled. Select only the freshest tuna and serve over simple but tasty greens with a sweet/sour vinaigrette. This dish makes for a satisfying substitution for a traditional steak.
If served as a more substantial entrée, add raw veggies of choice and diced, cooked and chilled new potatoes to the greens.
- Ahi Tuna - 4 pieces (5-6 oz each)
- peppercorn - crushed black
- Mesclun greens - 10-12 cups
- agave nectar (use Sohgave! Amber) - 1/2 cup
- basalmic vinegar - 1/4 cup
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- scallions - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- salt - to taste
- Mix agave nectar, oil, vinegar, scallions and salt until blended well. This can be made ahead of time provided it is kept refrigerated and re-blended before serving.
- Sprinkle peppercorn on both sides of the fish and sear in hot skillet with oil or butter until golden brown
- Salt to taste
- Cook the tuna rare to medium rare, slice when hot, and arrange on a bed of Mesclun greens (it can also be served chilled).
- Drizzle dressing (above) on both the tuna and the greens
- Serve with a side of bruschetta or other bread of choice